Monday, August 2, 2010

Update: One Week After Quitting Sugar

So, it's been 7 days since I banished sugar from my life. (You can read why I've chosen to do this, here.) I did come slightly unstuck on Saturday night, when we went to a birthday party, and got handed a slice of peach meringue pie...It was all too much for my self-control.

I enjoyed it, but didn't enjoy it....if you know what I mean.

Anyway, we are firmly back on the wagon, now.

Days 1 to 3 were fairly uneventful, except for a few cravings here and there. I had just started patting myself on the back when I developed the most splitting headache EVER. Some little gremlin was using a jackhammer on my forehead, I swear!! My head pounded all night, and there was that small matter of hot and cold sweats during the night too.

Day 4, I woke up feeling deathly, with my head still pounding.

While it certainly wasn't pleasant, I was also terribly excited by this turn of events, because it just went to prove that I really did need to do this cleanse. That sugar really is addictive. That it really has been playing havoc in my body. That my body is doing a tremendous job of clearing out all the toxins. (The reason so many people get headaches, is because when you starve candida of it's food sources, it begins to die off, and it enters the bloodstream as toxins, which your body then has to expel. This is why it's important to drink plenty of water to help flush out the toxins...Just so you know.)

By Day 5, I was starting to feel more like myself. 

During this time, I had THE sorest, stiffest back. I could barely bend over. Every time I picked up bubby, I got a sharp pain across the middle of my back. I assumed I must have put my back out. But then I noticed on Day 6, that the stiffness had disappeared completely, and only the occasional twinge across my back. So maybe it wasn't a coincidence...

The hubbster seemed to have it a bit better than me, but he hasn't been as strict, either. He's still eating a number of kiwi fruit every day, in an effort to bring down his blood pressure naturally (Something interesting for you: Kiwi-fruit, walnuts and celery all help to lower blood pressure).

Our friend in Sydney, heard about what we were doing, and decided to join in too. We caught up with her yesterday, and she has dropped a dress size already!! She's thrilled, and determined to stick it out.

For those who are still sitting on the fence, about how bad sugar is for you, here's some more gruesome stuff to consider: Many experts believe that, in the future, sugar will be recognised as being just as dangerous as smoking cigarettes. (How about that?!)

It leaches vital nutrients from the body, and affects every single organ.

Every ounce of sugar eaten, reduces the body's ability to resist infection, as it damages the immune system. Every health problem, will have some (or complete) improvement by cutting out sugar.

Sugar is the main culprit behind stress.

I don't mean to be the fun police or anything. I'm just sayin'...

Every time you eat sugar, you're doing yourself a disservice.

I was always one of those people who scoffed at health fanatics. Pfffftttt. Not me, thanks!! I was gonna eat whatever I wanted. What a boring life, if you can't enjoy eating a bit of chocolate here, or a cheeseburger there..??

You know what I think now?? What a boring life, to be always sick with every virus that's going around. What a boring life, to be tired and stressed. What a boring life to never fulfil my potential. What a boring life, to pass along the same unhealthy eating habits to my children, so that they too, do not fulfil their potential.

I want to be healthy, and vibrantly alive, not just dragging myself through life, and I want the same for my family. All the cheesecakes in the world are not worth it, anymore. (Mind you, I have not given up on discovering a way to make a healthy cheesecake. Watch this space...)

Now, I'm a bit of a sucker for morning-tea bikkies or cake, so I came up with a subsitute. These cookies are actually healthy, and RAW, so none of the nutrients or enzymes have been destroyed by cooking.

The recipe has been adapted from this awesome blog.

Raw Carob and Cashew Cookies

1.5 cups of raw unsalted cashews
2 tbsp butter (or equivalent )
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup carob
a handful of sultanas (sorry, I didn't measure. I just threw them in. Typical, really...)
2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
pinch of salt.

Throw everything in food processor for a couple of minutes (cashews may still be a little bit chunky), then roll into balls. Then eat!! Yummmmmm....

If you are a chocoholic, then carob may take some getting used to. But it grows on you, I promise!

I've got a few more raw recipes that I'm keen to try.

All in all, it actually hasn't been as difficult as I'd imagined. Like most things in life, taking that first step was the hardest. I'm feeling quite good, and cannot wait to see how I will feel in another 6 weeks or so.

No comments: