Monday, July 26, 2010

Why I Quit Sugar

After months of stalling, and procrastinating, the hubbster and I have finally taken the plunge. As of today, we are sugar free!!


My hubby has tried to lose weight for years. He gets motivated, starts exercising, and eating really well, and loses 5 kilos, and then....nothing. The other 20 kilos of extra weight just won't budge, no matter how hard he tries.


After a while he gives up in disgust, and goes back to his old eating and exercising habits.


I, on the other hand, have never struggled with weight. (I know. Don't punch me.) But I have had pimples ever since I was 12 years old. Thats 16 years of pimples, folks!! I'm so over it. I have been known to quip that, with my luck, I'll go straight from pimples to wrinkles...


But since I decided to educate myself on health matters, it has become very clear that we are both suffering from candida overgrowth in the gut.


Candida feeds on sugar, white flour, yeast and alcohol.


That means that, as of today, they're out of our diet. That means also fruit (high in natural sugars), and anything with ingredients ending in "ose" (such as fructose, glucose, dextrose, sucrose. They are basically a fancy name for sugar). 

After 8 weeks, we can introduce fruit, honey, etc back into our diet, but the white sugar is gone for life. (In it's place we'll be using honey, stevia, agave nectar, blackstrap molasses, and for special occasions raw organic sugar cane juice)


Here's a few other reasons why the sugar has got to go:



 - The body does not digest it, it aborbs straight into the bloodstream.


 - Sugar causes tooth decay because it leaches calcium from the body. This is because sugar does not provide enough vitamins or minerals to even fuel its own metabolism. This basically means that the body has to exert effort to process it, even though it's not getting any goodness out of it. It can only equal one thing....Fatigue. Your body is working, using up energy, but not getting any substantial fuel.


 - It also leaches B Vitamins (necessary for the production of energy, so don't reach for a sugar hit when you want energy, you are only making the problem worse), vitamins C and D, iron, selenium and zinc (very important for immune system health).


A word of warning: Please do not go out and buy sugar free Coke, or chewing gum, or similar, because those products contain aspartame, which is even more dangerous than sugar.


I will be updating as I go along, and I really hope that others will be inspired to take the leap.

We have only started with some small changes, but we are already reaping the benefits. Not one of us, have been sick with cold or flu, this Winter. None of us had a flu or swine flu shot, either.


I thought I was a fairly healthy person. I have come to realise, that I'm definately not.


Our society has been lulled into thinking that it's normal to have colds and flus in winter. It's normal to need blood pressure medication, and cholesterol medication, and arthritus medication when we grow old.


That is not normal, folks!!


That is abnormal.


The human body is an absolutely amazing thing. It can heal itself, and withstand virus and disease, but ONLY if we look after it properly.


I don't know about you, but I'm aiming to be fit, strong, healthy and productive, well into my old age. I'm aiming NOT to end my days, stashed away in a nursing home, drugged up to my eyeballs and barely in control of my bodily functions.


Today is the first day of the rest of my life!!! I'm incredibly excited to see the results of this challenge.

No comments: