Saturday, January 14, 2012

Why I Chose NOT to Vaccinate My Daughter

When my little girl was born, I chose not to have her injected - with anything. No vaccines, no Vitamin K, nothing

Is it because I'm dumb/ignorant/can't be bothered/a neglectful mother..? What person in their right mind takes such risks?

I'll tell you why.

Long before she was born, I did some research into the newborn Hep B vaccine, and learnt that it contains (among other things) aluminium (a neurotoxin), formaldehyde (a known carcinogen, meaning it causes cancer), and cultured in genetically-engineered yeasts.

I'm sorry, but these ingredients have no business being injected in newborn babies, whose blood-brain barrier is still incomplete!!

Then I did some research on Hepatitis B...and learnt that it is contracted by either a.) sexual contact, b.)sharing needles or c.) from an infected mother to child during birth.

Ummm....?? Why on earth would I inject my child with known poisons, when the chances of her contracting such an illness are less than miniscule?

Known poisons versus a slight possibility - who's doing the risk versus benefit, here?!

During our two days in hospital, all the midwives commented on what a peaceful baby she was. There was no screaming or squalling or fussing. Meanwhile, the corridors were filled with babies howling. I thought nothing of this - you come to expect that from a maternity ward at 3am in the morning - but then, my husband made a comment: "Maybe our daughter is so peaceful, because she hasn't been injected with poisons?"

After that, every time I heard a baby howling, or high-pitched screaming....I wondered. And my heart nearly broke with the wondering...What if it was? What if those tiny bodies were already overloaded with poisons and struggling? What were we doing to our precious little babies?

(Coincidentally, I've since read about the side effects of the Hep B vaccine, one being listed as: "High-pitched crying".)

My daughter hasn't had her two-month vaccines, either. Nor do I plan on giving her any in the future.

She gets "vaccinated" every time I breast-feed her...

The Australian government has recently passed a law (very quietly too, I might add) that the parents of children who are not fully vaccinated will not receive the Family Tax Benefit Supplement at the end of the financial year.

I'm sorry, but this is a conscientious decision, and I feel right about my choice, no amount of "supplementing" is going to change my mind on it!!! No doubt, there are some parents out there who haven't vaccinated because they're too busy, or can't be bothered, but I bet the majority did their research and chose not to.

My middle son was vaccinated until he was four months old. He then broke out in exzema all over his little body. That was enough to make me start questioning. And I thank God that I did, because I am convinced that if I'd carried on with the vaccine schedule, my son would have been one of the tens of thousands of children damaged by vaccines. His immune system was already overloaded, because he had candida overgrowth ( I just didn't know it at the time.)

A doctor later poo-poohed and said excema was not a good enough reason to stop vaccinating - it was a minor irritation. (Ha! I bet he wouldn't call it a minor irritation, if he were the one up all night, every night, with an irritable, cranky baby...) Well, pardon me!! I don't have a medical degree, but I know enough to realise that excema is the sign of an overloaded system, unable to cope with toxins, so the body tries to push it out through the skin.

Hmmm. Maybe not so "minor" after all...

With the help of homeopathic remedies and a really good diet, we were able to get on top of the exzema, and the underlying candida infection, and my beautiful boy, with the big brown eyes began to look a picture of health.

I had to jump through hoops to get him into childcare (because of his vaccination status)...but the really ironic thing was...my unvaccinated son was the only child who did NOT get sick once while in childcare. Nope. Not even a sniffle!

There is very little research on the comparative health of vaccinated vs unvaccinated children. I doubt pharmaceutical companies would be bothered with such research, and no-one else has the money to fund it. But one group are attempting to get the data together, and so far, unvaccinated children are out-performing the vaccinated ones in every category (such as asthma, allergies, ear infection, learning delays, etc). The study is ongoing, but you can view the preliminary results here.

I'm not going to judge anyone else on the choices they make - we all do what we feel is best for our children. But as for me...I'll trust my instincts. My babies will not be injected with poisons and carcinogens.

Not on my watch, anyway.

(Update: My daughter is now 20 months old, completely unvaccinated (still) and in superb health.

She was crawling at 5 months, took her first steps at 9 months, and now at 20 months, speaks both Tongan and English - in fact, she speaks better Tongan than her almost 3 year old (Tongan) cousin. Of course, this may be just coincidence. Maybe she's a quick learner. Maybe! BUT many years ago, an old healer told me that an unvaccinated child will be fully one year ahead of his peers (developmentally) by the time he starts school...Could it be? Is it possible...???

Earlier this year, she had a bout of chicken-pox. The funny thing is, my eldest son was the first to get it. My eldest son happens to be fully vaccinated (even for chicken pox), so I just thought it was some kind of itchy rash. But then the following week, our other son (partly vaccinated) started breaking out. Our (unvaccinated) daughter was the last to get it. All of them had it fairly mild, at worst it was a few days of uncomfortable itching, and then it began to heal up, without complications or scarring.

At least I can rest assured that they are now immune for life (unlike the supposed immunity that comes from chicken-pox vaccine...)