Wednesday, August 25, 2010

How to Have a Chemical-Free Bathroom

Many of you know that I've got a thing against chemicals, and I believe in a lifestyle that works with nature. Not against it.

So, I decided that I'd talked the talk long enough, it was time to walk the walk...

Recently, I decided it was time to purge my bathroom. The criteria was that if it can't be eaten then it's not safe to put on my skin.

And if it has ingredients that I can't pronounce, then it's probably not safe to eat...

These are all the items that did NOT pass the test...(Yes, farewell my friend, eyelash dye kit....sob!)


It pains me to admit that there are over $400 worth of products here...

I spent over $400 for the priviledge of loading myself with toxins and poisons? What was I thinking?!

Those 31 products have been replaced by...



...just 11 products. And some of those won't be replaced when they run out.

 - Yes, that's coconut oil you can see! Did you know it's one of the most versatile products you can own? Use it for cooking (it does not go rancid at high temps), on your skin, eat it for all kinds of health benefits (it's anti-viral, anti-fungal, and anti carcinogenic...that means it protects against cancer), use it as a lip-balm or hair gloss/shine serum. AND it smells delicious!

 - No more handwash! Replaced with good old-fashioned sunlight soap.

 - Natural toothpaste with NO fluoride. Very important. Did you know that a tube of normal toothpaste contains enough fluoride to kill a 12kg child?? It is a TOXIC, DEADLY chemical that has NO RIGHT being in our toothpaste. Or in our water supply. (Fluoridated water is nothing short of mass-medication...but I shall not get started on THAT!!)

 - Organic Care shampoo. While this shampoo contains no SLS, it's still not as natural as I'd like, so when it's finished I'll swap to a truly organic product.

 - All-natural deodorant. No aluminium. This is also important, and why I never use anti-perspirants. Not only do anti-perspirants contain aluminium (linked to Alzheimers), but you should never try to stop your body from sweating. That's one of the ways your body removes toxins. Your body is trying to protect you, not embarrass you..

 - Mineral organic concealer, blush, and face mask.

 - Cocoa body butter and rose-hip oil. When these both run out, I won't replace them, I'll just use the coconut oil.

 - Organic cleanser. I already had this, but when this runs out, I won't replace it. I'll use salt-water (see tip below)

 - And on my wishlist: organic mascara.

Here's a few other hints for beauty with a conscience...

- Sea salt dissolved in warm water is a great cleanser, and helps to heal breakouts. (Have you ever noticed how any sores or wounds heal really quickly after swimming in the ocean? )

- A little bit of apple cider vinegar in some warm water, as a hair rinse, helps a dry scalp.

- Body scrubs are easily made up with sea-salt, mixed with some dried herbs and a couple of drops of essential oils.

Manuka honey as a anti-aging face mask (it's anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial), or dabbed on pimples and left overnight. It can also be used with warm water to remove mineral make-up.

- One egg (beaten) mixed with 2 tablespoons of olive oil can be used as a hair protein treatment. Rub through your hair, wrap in warm towel for 15 mins to an hour, then rinse with luke-warm water.

No comments: