Friday, September 26, 2014

Strawberry Chia Pudding + Five Reasons To Love Chia Seeds

Since coming back to Australia, I've been trying to help my parents eat healthier. Its made me realize that many people struggle to know what to eat after they decide to "get healthy", and often give up after a few weeks.

The good news is that eating healthy doesn't have to mean boring, bland or time-consuming! 

So I've decided to start sharing some of my go-to recipes, but there's one tiny little disclaimer...

I'm not a very professional cook.

Sometimes I don't use measuring devices. Often, I just throw things in until it looks or tastes "about right". I *may* also stick my finger into food sometimes and have a little taste. But if you think you could overlook these little flaws, then we'll probably get along just fine.

My brother and his wife sent me the original recipe for "chia seed pudding" and ,naturally, I decided to whip up my own version.

But first...

FIVE REASONS TO LOVE CHIA SEEDS

1. They're super high in fiber. In just one ounce, there are 11 grams of fibre (more than 35% of the recommended daily intake)

2. They're loaded with good fats. A 1-oz serving contains 5grams of Omega-3 fats

3. They're high in antioxidants, which helps prevent the good fats from going rancid.

4. They're loaded with nutrients. 1-oz of chia seeds contain 18% RDA of calcium, 30% RDA of magnesium, 30% of manganese, plus zinc, potassium, Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) and Vitamin B3 (Niacin).

5. They are a complete protein, which means they contain all 9 amino acids which are essential to humans.



Strawberry Chia Pudding (Serves 4)
Gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free

1 can of coconut milk
1 and half cups of strawberries (approx)
1 tsp vanilla extract (Not vanilla "essence", it's just fake stuff)
1/2 cup chia seeds
2-3 tbsp raw honey

1. Add coconut milk, strawberries and vanilla to a blender and mix well.

2. Add the honey and stir until mixed well. (I often pour the coconut/strawberry mix into a saucepan and sit over very low heat, stirring until honey is softened and mixed through. This only takes a minute or two.) 

3. Stir through chia seeds and pour into bowl. Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight, until set. 

4. Top with more strawberries and a sprinkle of dried coconut, then enjoy!

I don't really eat this as a "pudding", I usually make a batch and leave in the fridge and eat it as a snack, kind of like yogurt.

 
You Might Also Like: 
Results Of My First 7-Day Fast
A Diary Of Quitting Gluten (One Month Update) 
10 Ways to Achieve Vibrant Health On a Shoestring Budget

No comments: