Friday, May 7, 2010

Faith. Or the Lack Therof.

Back in 1980, there was a study of 1500 undergraduate business students. They were asked whether they planned to pursue their dreams, or whether they intended to accept more stable, lucrative jobs when they graduated, and worry about finding their passion at a later date.

A massive 87% said they would take a stable job, enjoy the money now, and worry about self-fulfillment later on. The other 13% said they would pursue their passion, despite there being no promises of big cash rewards.

Twenty years later, the original group of 1500 contained 101 multimillionaires.

All, but one of them, came from the 13% who valued passion over a quick paycheque and stability.

Don't get me wrong.

I'm not interested in having a squillion dollars, and jettsetting around the world in my private jet, and lording it over everyone else.

But I would like for my husband not to have to work night and day, just so we can get by.

I would like to pay all the bills, and still have some money left over for fun.

I would like to be able help my husbands family in Tonga more, especially the kiddies who walk off to school with an empty stomach, and an empty lunchbox.

I would like to earn money doing something I love, like writing or music.

Who wouldn't?

Oh. And a car that is not a 22 year old bomb, would be quite nice, too...

My question is: is it still okay to follow your passion when you have a mortgage and kids to consider, or is that just plain irresponsible?

Or is that an excuse we use, because we are afraid we might fail.

After all, fear is a lack of faith. Fear and faith cannot co-exist!

If we committed ourselves, and gave ourselves no back-up plan, wouldn't we be forced to succeed? Wouldn't we keep searching until we found a way to make it happen?

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe said: "Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back. There is one elementary truth that ignorance of which, kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definately commits oneself, then Providence moves, too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occured.

Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it now. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now."

I have been considering taking on some more housecleaning work, in order to complete my Credit Card Challenge.

But do I really want to do more housecleaning? No, not really. What I'd like to do, is write, compose songs, inspire others, and make a difference in the world.

One of my old housecleaning clients rang me yesterday, and I still haven't returned his call, because I am still arguing with myself, about whether this is a fantastic opportunity, or actually a test to see if I am brave enough to say no to the safe option, and go after what I really want.

Perhaps what I need is someone to come along behind me and give me a great big shove. If my only other option is to sink....then I'll be forced to swim, won't I?

Anyone else willing to take a leap of faith with me?

2 comments:

1milliondollarchallenge said...

Take the leap of faith. It may take longer to reap the rewards, but they sure outweigh the lifetime of hating what you are doing to get by. That's your shove! lol. Good luck with it.

Time and Inclination said...

Just do it. You know my thoughts on fear. The universe will test you before rewarding you.