Wednesday, May 12, 2010

8 Books I'd Actually Pay For...

stsIt's no secret that I'm a book-lover, and I like nothing more than to curl up with a good book.

Especially a good self-help book. The possibility of learning something that might change my life and my relationships is just irresistable to me...

But....I'm a real tightwad when it comes to buying books, because I can borrow them from the library for free.

However.

Occasionally I come across a book that is SO good, that the library just doesn't cut it. I want to keep it on my bookshelf, so that I can refer back to it, over and over again.

And admire how it looks on my bookshelf.

Gasp. Did I really write that?

Anyway, my latest discovery, is one of those books.

Mars and Venus Together Forever by John Gray, has completely changed the way I look at my husband. And his infuriating habit of coming home and plonking in front of the tv, and pushing up ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz's.

And I understand myself so much better too.

If you are in a relationship, or one your way out of one, please get hold of this book.

These are some other (self-help) books that are on my list of Books I'd Actually Pay For:

 - Life Beyond Limits by Rik Schabel. This book is powerful, and puts "The Secret" to shame...

 - The E-Myth Revisited by Michael Gerber. If you are in business, or thinking about it, I beg you to get hold of this book.

 - The Universal Heart by Stephanie Dowrick. This was the book that launched me onto my journey to discover my own happiness, and not rely on others to provide it for me.

 - The 4-Hour Work Week by Tim Ferris. An absolutely eye-opening look at how the "other half" live.

  - Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. You can't go past this book for explaining the basics of money, and how to make it work for you. Work smarter, not harder.

Now, I'm not an expert on books, by any stretch of the imagination, so if you think there are others that should be on this list, please leave a comment below. I would love to check them out.

Obviously, different books will strike a chord with different people, depending on what our life situation is, but I feel sure you'll get great value out of all the books above. If you do read them, please leave me a comment to tell me what you think.

Whoops. Forgot to list this one: The Magic Of Thinking Big by David Schwarz. An oldie but a goodie. I need to re-read this one, for a big fat dose of motivation.

Also The Richest Man in Babylon by George Clason. Another oldie but goodie. Thanks PointView. I was tossing up whether this should be on the list. Maybe because I don't own it at the moment, but I definately would, if I could get it at the right price.

Oh, dear. There's my inner tightwad coming out again.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Totally agree with Rich Dad Poor Dad!

Another good one is 'The Richest Man in Babylon' - an oldie but a goodie :)

Kylez..aka...Mrs.P! said...

I've not read a lot of self-help books but that Mars & Venus book sounds good, I'm gonna have to get my hands on it me thinks. And the Four Hour Work Week one sounds good too.